Saturday, July 18, 2026

This is BWAMP's fault

 

So this whole undertaking is explicitly the fault of bwamp.org and its mastermind Kyle Reimergartin. I blame him for several things. I was in the perfectly innocuous habit of playing RPGs with him and friends over the internet during the pandemic. this is a normal thing that normal humans do. 

then he started building little guys for a game called Turnip. I was following along with interest. this progressed. he acquired GOBLINS. The sight of little goblins unlocked the Proustian memory of sitting hunched over a drafting table in my basement in my early teens, giving myself visual migraines trying to paint these weird little dudes. This spelled trouble. I had an orcs and goblins army circa 1997, probably for 4th edition. I barely played it because I couldn't convince anyone else in Cedar Falls, Iowa to spend their precious pocket money on this level of nerd stuff. That didn't stop me from creating and painting a whole ping-pong table full of terrain. This is when I learned that spray paint eats foam. 

Cut to 2001 when I was heading to college and gave ALL my nerd things (a copious amount of Magic cards, some varied RPG books, and a ridiculous amount of goblins) to my neighbor so I wouldn't look like a NERD when I arrived at college. Whoops. 

Cut to December 2023. I could no longer vicariously watch Kyle paint goblins. I had to paint them myself. So I ordered a bunch of night goblin spearmen. And then the abyss opened before my feet. It's now 2026 and I have so many goblins. And so many other things. And I have rediscovered a passion for building terrain out of trash. Only now I have a whole woodshop and sculpture studio at my fingertips so this is all much more dangerous. I have been posting whatnot on Instagram but I am also know the world is a vampire and blogs are somewhat (in a tiny incremental way) less vampiric than Instagram. But if you want to find me there I'm at @nervous_goblin_factory

Also I am spending too much time this summer putting together a narrative Cauldron event for Philly Indie Tabletop and Kyle is screaming at me to blog about it so here we are. No promises. But I'll probably write and put pictures here somewhat regularly. 


                        The first Night Gobbos from early 2024.  


3 comments:

  1. WELCOME TO THE BLOGOSPHERE. i receive this post with great delight 🩸🩸🩸

    ReplyDelete

The Mass in the Cauldron pt. 4: Painting and Detailing the Boards

  As alluded to in the previous post, the next step was to get my hands on some new things to create detail on the boards. Luckily there...