So the next phase in making these boards is building up texture before moving into color. I unfortunately didn't get great pix of that step- but after capping off the open ends of the boards with cardboard, I applied two coats of DIY texture paint (in this case Kilz mixed with a lot of sand), and some drywall joint compound in places to transition areas and fill gaps. I also built up the swamp terrain a little bit by adding sheets of stacked cardboard with joint compound and texture paint.
(forgive me if I go deep on process, this is just the kind of thing I find very fascinating to read from other people and it's what remains clear in my brain after doing the project.)
Next then is color. I wanted a color that hovered between the natural world and something much weirder and more synthetic, and lo and behold I happened to have most of a can of this oddball teal color that I'd used on the exterior trim of the building where I live. Perfect. Very heavy and opaque since it's an exterior paint. Another guiding principle behind this whole project is do not spend money. I haven't been able to perfectly adhere to that rule but I've made a great deal of this from materials I have on hand.


this process is tons of fun to see progress, looking forward to more!
ReplyDeleteOh good glad you're enjoying it! I've got more in the pipeline!
Deletei’d like to particularly encourage you to go deep on process, i think that’s a lot of the fun! that teal is so delicious, it is science fantasy teal.
ReplyDelete